Havana Club Añejo Blanco

Category: White
Country: Cuba
Aged: Minimum 18 months
Alcohol: 40% (80 proof)
Availability: Outside U.S. Only
Price: US$11 (750 mL) in St. Maarten

Appearance (0-5): 4
Aroma (0-25): 23
Taste (0-35): 32
Smoothness (0-10): 8
Body (0-5): 5
Overall Quality (0-20): 18
Machete Rating (0-100): 90

Notes: I brought back a few bottles of Havana Club from my honeymoon, including an Añejo Blanco that I quickly used to make Mojitos. Almost needless to say, it was amazing. The rum was very smooth and subtly sweet. I kept the drinks strong, and the rum held up extremely well against the sugar and mint and lime. I later had some on the rocks and, had this been a blind aroma test, I would not have thought this to be a white rum as it is missing a lot of the harsh alcohol smell associated with young rums. Although white rums aren't typically had neat or on ice, the taste was still smooth, light, and refreshing with a nice balance of sweetness and a mildly appropriate bite. Additional soft tastes of vanilla and oak. Finished with a citrus and honey aftertaste. I topped it with some lime juice and a splash of club soda to finish it off. It's the best white rum I've ever had - incredibly clean and crisp - and definitely makes the tastiest Mojitos. If you find yourself in the right place (meaning outside the US) to try this, do not hesitate to order a drink or three.
Top Shelf Silver
Reviewed: May 2007