Three Palms Spiced

Category: Spiced
Country: Barbados
Aged: Unknown
Alcohol: 35% (70 proof)
Availability: Everywhere
Price: $8 -$10 (750 mL)

Appearance (0-5): 2
Aroma (0-25): 16
Taste (0-35): 17
Smoothness (0-10): 6
Body (0-5): 1
Overall Quality (0-20): 11
Machete Rating (0-100): 53

Notes: I went into this bottle with zero expectations of quality. Its shelf placement and price were my tipoffs that this wasn't going to make me hear singing angels. Well, I was surprised... Although it has an overall dominant aroma and taste of slightly artificial vanilla and wood, it's actually quite mellow and satisfying when mixed with coke. On the rocks, it's pretty harsh and definitely not recommended. But at under a 10 spot, don't be embarrassed to grab this bottle as it's perfectly suitable for cheap mixed drinks at barbecues or the beach. Just don't make a habit of it. I think it's better served in food than in cocktails: I smash it into sweet potatoes with brown sugar for a tasty side dish.

Reviewed: May 2007